Fraternity brothers removed from chapter

As the University investigated and ultimately charged Sigma Phi Epsilon with hazing, about 30 representatives from the fraternity’s national organization conducted “membership reviews” with each member of the chapter, suspending those who declined to participate and making recommendations about those who did not mesh with the fraternity’s ideals.

The interviews, which occurred two weeks ago, took an entire day as the representatives – part of the fraternity’s alumni advisory board – met with all those who agreed to participate, a fraternity member familiar with the process said. About two or three alumni met with each member for discussions that lasted about 15 minutes.

An exact number of members who have left or been suspended as a result of these interviews is not known, although someone close to the process estimated it was three freshmen, one sophomore and 10 juniors. He added that eight seniors opted to apply for alumni status a semester early.

Another member, who requested anonymity because he is not authorized to speak for the chapter, described the interviews as “conversations” that “strengthened our expectation of members.”

“We worked to make sure that everyone was dedicated and responsible and ready to move forward,” he said.

He said each brother had Sigma Phi Epsilon’s loyalty oath recited to them and that an average conversation during the process revolved around GW’s heightened expectations of the Greek-life system as a result of the hazing controversy.

The member interviewed said the one person directly involved in the hazing was expelled from the organization.

“A member of our org made a very bad mistake, we want to make sure that will never happen again,” he said.

Those who did not interview have been suspended, although they may still petition for alumni status upon graduation – something they would not be permitted to do if they were permanently expelled from the fraternity.

Sigma Phi Epsilon President Adam Kelsey declined to comment on current membership numbers.

A member of the fraternity who declined to participate in a review said many members are upset with Nick Polk, the former president of Sigma Phi Epsilon whose term recently ended.

“What could have been fixed internally he fixed externally,” the suspended member said.

Neither Sigma Phi Epsilon’s national organization nor Greek Life Director Christina Witkowicki responded to requests for comment.