Sports in Brief

Softball team announces new assistant coaches

Dan Sperl and Liza Fuller will be the new assistant coaches for the softball’s team upcoming season. They’ll join the program’s new head coach, Stacey Schramm, in taking over an embattled team that went just 6-38 last year.

Sperl, who hails from Center Strafford, N.H., joins the Colonials after a four-year stint as an assistant coach for the Division II Western Washington University Vikings. While there, he served as the recruiting coordinator and specialized in improving the team’s defensive efforts, ultimately helping WWU improve its fielding percentage and reduce the number of errors committed in a game.

Fuller is no stranger to working with Schramm on a softball team, bringing to GW experience both playing and coaching under the Colonials’ new head coach. While an undergrad at Drexel University, Fuller played her final season in 2005 with Schramm as her head coach, leading the team that season in batting average, runs batted in and triples. She also is second of all time at Drexel in career strikeouts, recording 369 in 98 appearances. After graduating, Fuller traveled to Germany to win the German National Softball Championship with the Hamberg Knights in the fall of 2005. She then returned stateside to work as a graduate assistant coach under Schramm at Wheeling Jesuit University. Fuller currently works as a business adviser for the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency’s offices in Washington, D.C.

The Colonials begin their season with the three new coaches Feb. 26-27 when they travel to Norfolk, Va., for the Norfolk State Classic. GW’s home opener will be March 5 in a doubleheader against Army at 12 p.m.

Upcoming Games

Men’s Basketball
vs. St. Bonaventure
Smith Center
Saturday, 2 p.m.

vs. Xavier
Cincinnati, Ohio
Wednesday, 7 p.m.

Women’s Basketball
vs. Fordham
Bronx, N.Y.
Saturday, 1 p.m.

vs. Duquesne
Smith Center
Saturday, 7 p.m.

Number Crunch: 17

The number of points men’s basketball senior Joseph Katuka had in GW’s loss to Richmond, tying his career high.