Letter to the Editor

A welcome surge of spirit

What don’t you like about GW? Whether it’s a pesky aunt or a wide-eyed prospective student, this is the most common question we are asked about our University. The answer is always the same: J Street sucks and there’s no school spirit. I agree that it would take a culinary miracle to change the dining issue, but to anyone who thinks there’s no school spirit on campus I argue this: You probably weren’t in The Smith Center last week.

Last week our men’s basketball team had its five-game winning streak snapped by some tough visitors from Harvard. However, I still have hope for the future of GW. Firstly, we ended the week still tied for first place in the Atlantic 10 Conference and are off to the best conference start since the 2005-06 season when we made the NCAA Tournament. Secondly, it wasn’t long ago that we were being counted out completely because Lasan Kromah was injured for the season. But players like Nemanja Mikic and Tony Taylor have stepped up and highlighted their intensity on both ends of the court – while becoming fan sensations along the way – and have put life back into our team.

In a broader perspective, though, the fan support at these games was phenomenal. The student attendance at last week’s games increased by a deafening level. And you know what? We’re tough fans. We’re loud, we’re intense, and we can get in the heads of our opponents. We have a coach who believes in the power of a home-court advantage and, last week, we unarguably did our part. But this must be the norm, not the exception.

As our team heads into the meat of conference play, they need us more than ever. So GW, let’s keep the momentum going. Let’s continue to show our visitors that when you step inside the Smith Center, you’re not dealing with the typical A-10 school. And let’s show all the naysayers that GW pride is alive and well. Coach Hobbs knows our expectations of the team, but let’s continue to show him that while those high expectations are unwavering, so too is our support for the team. Tip-off is Saturday at 2:00 p.m. in the Smith Center. See ya there!

Keith Osentoski is a sophomore majoring in political communication and a member of the Colonial Army Executive Board.