Sports in Brief

Wilson named A-10 Rookie Performer of the Week

GW freshman Niccolo Wilson was named the Men’s A-10 Rookie Performer of the Week for the Atlantic 10 Conference for the second time this season. Wilson competed in six events for the Colonials at the URI Invitational, tying for second in the 100-yard freestyle and swimming the first leg of the men’s 200-yard freestyle relay team that placed third.

Wilson received his first Rookie Performer of the Week accolades after GW’s Smith Center victory Nov. 8 over Drexel.

The Colonials placed third overall at the URI Invitational and will next take on cross-town rival Georgetown Saturday, Jan. 22 at 1 p.m. in the Hoyas’ McCarthy Pool.

Willams beats women’s squash after 42-day layoff

GW’s women’s squash team fell to Williams College Sunday afternoon, losing 7-2 in its first action after 42 days without a match.

The Colonials (8-3) got match victories from senior Tiffany Hingley and freshman Jackie Shea. It was Shea’s second consecutive personal victory, and her eighth win in her last 10 outings. Shea is currently the 72nd-ranked player in the College Squash Association.

The women’s squash team will next participate in the Yale Round Robin this coming Saturday, Jan. 22.

Men’s squash falls to
Williams in fourth-straight loss

The men’s squash team extended its losing streak to four consecutive games Sunday. The Colonials (10-4) lost 7-2 against Williams College, despite again winning their first two matches.

Sophomore number one player Islam El-Fiky and sophomore number two player Omar Sobhy both continued their personal win streaks, but were the only Colonials to post victories over Williams. El-Fiky’s victory marked his second in a row, and his ninth of his last 10 outings. Sobhy’s win was also his second consecutive victory, and his 11th of his last 12 outings.

GW next takes the court in the Yale Round Robin Saturday, Jan. 22.

Upcoming Games

Men’s Basketball
at Richmond</em
Richmond, Va.
Wednesday, 7 p.m.

Women’s Basketball
at Dayton
Dayton, Oh.
Wednesday, 7 p.m.