Federal government to offer plea deal in child pornography case

Part-time Italian professor Diego Fasolini was arrested in October for possession of more than 100,000 images of child pornography. Fasolini's attorney and the U.S. government are in talks to settle the case outside of court. Court rendering by Devereaux Sterrette

This post was written by Hatchet Staff Writer Justin Kits

The U.S. government will likely offer a plea deal to the part-time Italian professor charged with possession of child pornography, the two parties announced Friday morning in federal court.

Diego Fasolini’s attorney Shawn Moore said an agreement with the federal government is imminent, adding that a plea offer will benefit Fasolini over going to trial because he would “likely lose.”

Magistrate Judge John Facciola said a plea agreement will save the court time and money.

Moore declined to comment on the nature of the agreement.

“Nothing has been agreed to at this point,” Moore said after the hearing. “We’ll see what happens.”

Fasolini was arrested Oct. 28, after police found more than 100,000 images of both adult and child pornography on Fasolini’s external hard drive. He was released from jail in November when Fasolini and the U.S. attorney assigned to the case agreed to try and resolve the case outside of court.

Fasolini – who has been suspended by the University pending the results of the investigation – will continue to be electronically monitored until his next court date. The next hearing is set for Dec. 20 at 9:30 a.m.