Season-worst shooting dooms Colonials at Old Dominion

This post was written by Hatchet Staff Writer Elizabeth Traynor

Wednesday night’s game was notable for the women’s basketball team for all the wrong reasons. The Colonials (4-4) were unable to find their rhythm offensively, ultimately falling 60-35 to Old Dominon. The loss dropped GW to .500 for the season.

The team shot a season-worst 26 percent, ending the game with its lowest point total of the season. The first half of the game was also GW’s worst of the season, but despite scoring only 13 points, the Colonials went into the locker room for halftime down just nine points.

GW pulled to within four points of the Lady Monarchs with 17:51 remaning in the game, but then went cold after sophomore Danni Jackson missed a jumper. The Colonials went five-for-23 for the rest of the game, while Old Dominion dominated play with crippling scoring runs. The Lady Monarchs also capitalized off of some sloppy ball handling by GW, turning 22 Colonial turnovers into 18 points Wednesday night.

Redshirt sophomore Brooke Wilson and junior Kye Allums were the lead scorers for the Colonials with nine points each. Tia Lewis had 15 points and 11 rebounds for Old Dominion to lead all players in both categories. Lewis’ teammate JoNiquia Guilford had 13 points.

The Colonials will look to rebound against Stony Brook at 2 p.m. in the Smith Center Saturday. The game is also Kids Day and Autograph Day.