Top-ranking GW official donates to Gray transition

The head of GW’s highest governing body donated $2,500 to GW alumnus and Mayor-elect Vincent Gray’s transition committee, a fundraising report released last week shows.

Board of Trustees Chairman Russell Ramsey donated to Gray’s transition, according to the report. Donors have the option of designating money to the transition process or to his Jan. 2 inauguration.

In response to the District’s budget deficit, Gray established the fund to finance transition and inauguration expenses through private donations, rather than taxpayer money.

Ramsey is the only University official who has donated to the fund, according to the report.

A single donor may contribute no more than $50,000 total, with up to $5,000 for the transition and the rest for the inauguration. Ramsey – whose contribution amounts to half of the individual transition donation limit – declined to comment for this article.

Gray’s transition committee has raised a total of $180,050 as of Nov. 30, with $105,550 allocated for the transition and $74,500 for the inauguration.

Money given to the transition pays for staff, supplies, meeting space and other logistical necessities to ensure a smooth transition into the mayor’s office, Doxie McCoy, spokeswoman for Gray’s transition, said.

Gray thanked donors for their support in a news release.

“I am delighted that they believe that helping us to execute an efficient transition and exciting inaugural, at a time when government resources are stretched to the limits, is a good investment,” Gray said.

Another fundraising report will be released at the end of December, McCoy said.