Holiday Guide: Gifts for every interest

Back to Holiday Guide

The holiday season is finally upon us and with it comes the daunting task of finding the perfect gifts for friends and family. On a student budget, gift-giving is even harder. Lucky for you, The Hatchet already went shopping to find presents for some of those hard-to-gift friends.

Outdoorsy

Anne Wernikoff | Photo Editor

Under $25

Any true camper will appreciate a quality thermal mug. Snag one at Target – most are under $25 – and fill it with tea bags or hot cocoa packets.

Under $50

A Swiss Army Knife is the classic tool for an outdoorsman; make it special by getting a Christmas- or D.C.-themed knife, available at most tourist shops. There is also the girly Classic SD Pink Camo pocketknife by Victorinox, which is practical and pretty!

Under $100

If you’re a little more outgoing with gift-giving this year, splurge on a brand new sleeping bag. You can find tons of options at Target or Wal-Mart, ranging from $25-$70. These will keep anyone toasty warm during future camping trips.

Music fiend

Chris Gregory | Senior Staff Photographer

Under $25

If your friend has a fetish for vintage music, head down to Red Onion Records & Books in Dupont Circle to pick up a couple of his or her all-time favorites, ranging from $8-$50 each.

Under $50

Three words – iTunes gift card. Let your friend explore his or her favorite music genres this season and download a personalized mix of songs.

Under $100

Want to make music-listening a more engaging experience? Choose from various headphone options online, like the Sennheiser HD 555 headphones, $90.75 on Amazon.com, for true sound quality, durability and comfort.

Foodie

Under $25

Know someone who is an Iron Chef at heart? Get your foodie friend a copy of “The I Love Trader Joe’s Cookbook,” found at Barnes and Noble and Urban Outfitters in Georgetown. Pair it with a set of wooden spoons and maybe your friend will reciprocate with dinner sometime.

Under $50

A subscription to a favorite gourmet magazine is perfect for someone who loves trying new recipes. Bon Appétit, Cooking Light or Saveur magazines have some of the best collections of easy-to-try recipes. Paired with a new wok or set of mixing bowls, this is a gift that will be appreciated all year long.

Under $100

Go for a taster’s gift basket – head to Dean and Deluca in Georgetown where you can find gourmet tea gift baskets, coffee gift baskets, chocolate gift baskets and even Italian gift baskets, ranging from $24-$100. Or, create your own basket with a mix of your gift receiver’s favorite pantry items.

Bookworm

Under $25

Mug O’ Bookmarks: Of course, bookworms love bookmarks. Pick up some unique bookmarks from Borders or Papyrus, paired with a couple of packets of instant coffee in a cute coffee cup for a cozy winter present.

Under $50

Want to make a new book a little more personalized? Try Inscribe-it – a company that lets you personalize a page in a book with a note or picture dedication. If you know your bookworm is missing a necessary classic from his or her library, make it extra special this year with this personal touch.

Under $100

If you’re absolutely stumped, a rare or vintage book will leave your giftee’s heart content. Head to Capitol Hill Books near Eastern Market, which has an expansive selection of rare and first edition books.

Sports enthusiast

Under $25

Treat your friend to a night out at a sports bar, where you can indulge in some greasy and delicious appetizers while watching the game. An easy and fun gift for both to enjoy.

Under $50

A jersey representing a favorite team or player is perfect for the fanatics among your friends and family. You can even go for a customized look – on sites like www.nflshop.com and store.nba.com, you can order any jersey paired with any number and put your friend’s name on the back.

Under $100

Sports team tickets are a classic, no-fail holiday gift. If it’s a little out of your budget, get your mutual friends to pitch in, too!