Long-serving Student Activities Center adviser to leave University

A top Student Activities Center adviser who advises some of the largest student organizations announced that she will be leaving the University next month..

Assistant Director of SAC Bridgette Behling manages Welcome Week, the Excellence in Student Life Awards, Graduate Life and the Alternative Breaks program, among others, and is leaving GW Dec. 2 after accepting a position outside of the University. She also advises several student organizations, including the Student Association.

“I have truly enjoyed working at GW as it has provided me the opportunity to teach, learn, grow and be part of so many wonderful experiences,” Behling said in an e-mail. “I count myself fortunate to work with such high-caliber students and esteemed colleagues. GW is an exciting place and I will always be a Colonial at heart!”

SAC Director Tim Miller said Behling’s departure is a loss for the University.

“She has made an indelible mark on this community and on the student experience at GW,” Miller said.

Miller said the University is in the early stages of looking for a replacement, but until then, SAC will divide Behling’s areas of responsibility throughout the department. A similar reshuffling occurred when former Greek life Director Dean Harwood left over the summer, and Miller became the interim Greek life director until the position was filled two weeks ago.

Behling accepted a leadership position at the national office of the American Association of University Women, an organization that works to provide equal access to education for women.

“I will be their in-house consultant on colleges and universities,” Behling said. “[I will be] working with schools across the country to grow involvement in the organization and to develop programs that appeal to colleges and universities as well as college students.”