Staff Editorial: GW should adopt AU’s Metro perks

One of the most well-known aspects of going to GW is how accessible different parts of D.C. are. The Metro plays a significant role in how students navigate the city. But while GW students are able to use the system to visit Dupont Circle or Union Station, American University students now have the added convenience of using their Eagle Bucks as money for their Metro SmarTrip cards. This is a system GW should adopt, because students are both frequent Metro riders and Colonials would benefit from putting Colonial Cash on their SmarTrips.

American University has paired with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority to sell SmarTrip cards in AU’s bookstore, which also gives students the option of reloading their cards with Eagle Bucks. GW has yet to approach WMATA about a similar system with GW’s Colonial Cash, but WMATA officials say they would consider talks with GW about the system.

But GW officials should enter the discussion with WMATA so the University can implement this system soon. GW’s accessibility to other D.C. locations is greatly dependent upon the Metro, and students learn to navigate the system soon after they come to GW. With the added convenience of being able to use Colonial Cash on SmarTrip cards, students won’t necessarily have to revert back to using cash when loading up their cards. This could be especially appealing for freshmen and sophomores who have GWorld money to spend, and who want to save up money in their bank accounts.

In addition to approaching WMATA about the AU system, GW officials could also look into discounts for students who ride the Metro. In 2008, members of the Student Association were in talks with Metro officials about the possibility of a reduced fare, but talks eventually stalled. This is something worth revisiting, as a deal between GW and WMATA could be mutually beneficial and extremely popular among students.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.