Ryan Last: Highlighting the reasons to fix Gelman

Gelman Library is the only building on campus in dire need of repair that is being completely ignored by the University. And its despair shocks me every time I pass through the turnstiles.

Gelman is not a top priority for the University, but renovating the Mount Vernon Campus’ academic space, adding a multi-million dollar Science and Engineering Complex and building additional research space on the Virginia Campus are.

If GW is looking to gain bragging rights, boasting about our impressive expansion of academic space and an impressive, well-rounded student body, shouldn’t we ask where we will house the students who want to study? The intent behind bettering our academic image is appreciated and honorable – but the math is simple.

Get Gelman Going, more a movement than an organization, has provided a voice for those who quietly hope for a significant change behind their crumbling cubicles. Why does the University continue to prolong any sort of initiative to renovate Gelman? Why do they seemingly avoid the elephant in the room, or rather, on campus? This is the epicenter of our school, and yet its issues haven’t garnered attention from the administration.

The University gives Gelman Library a budget, which the library uses to pay administrative costs, maintenance and repairs, new furniture, debt, books and utilities. Even with the Voluntary Library Gift – to which 40 percent of students contribute – only brings in around $800,000 to Gelman. There is not enough money for the library to consider renovations, when the budget and the voluntary gift money are the only potential resources.

What about donations? You would think this would be a substantial, go-to financial resource, but a small number of alumni gives to the library, which additionally impedes any opportunity for improvement. Yes, the lack of donations perhaps correlates to our distressed economy, and although that should be acknowledged, it is not reason enough to give up the fight.

How can a place of education relegate the most symbolic locale for studying to the backburner? Many students also believe the condition of Gelman Library hinders the pursuit of higher rankings. If the University wants to rank higher than our competition, we should start by first correcting the foundation and focal point of any University.

I have hopes that the University will soon realize that any step toward a renovation would elicit praise from students. Renovating Gelman will only improve an already impressive institution. Although I will have graduated before seeing any monumental changes to our library, knowing that future GW students and proud alumni will be able to witness the transformation of our library will increase my pride for our University.

I can only hope one day students will have a functional space to hit the books, without having to walk in circles for 20 minutes while searching for a seat. Get Gelman Going, along with the entire student body, challenges the University to hold a town hall meeting on the issues surrounding Gelman and the renovations that are needed.

The writer is a senior majoring in political science, and founder of Get Gelman Going.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this op-ed.