Former student gets probation

A former GW student was sentenced to six months’ probation and 40 hours of community service Tuesday, after he pled guilty last month to assaulting two University Police officers.

Nicholas Van Vliet accepted a plea deal Oct. 26 when he pled guilty to two charges of assault on a police officer.

If Van Vliet completes his probation, his case will be expunged from court records, his attorney Claire Morris Clark confirmed Wednesday. The Youth Rehabilitation Act affects offenders under the age of 22 who have been convicted of a crime other than murder and allows for sentencing alternatives like probation. It also allows the defendant to have his or her record expunged after completing probation.

Van Vliet’s sentencing had been delayed until Tuesday to give the court time to get impact statements from the two officers involved in the case.

Clark said one officer had submitted a statement, and deferred to the court in regards to sentencing.

The maximum sentence he had faced was 180 days in jail and a $1,000 fine for each assault count.

Van Vliet was arrested at GW’s 2109 F St. residence hall Sept. 17.

UPD’s Master Patrol Officer Sam Nedimyer and Officer James Hansbrough responded to the residence hall at about 12:10 a.m., following a report of an individual loudly banging on doors on the third floor, according to court documents.

Van Vliet was found sitting on the floor and yelling, and when the officers tried to get information from him he became “verbally combative,” a summary of the incident states.

The report also states that Van Vliet assaulted both Nedimyer and Hansbrough physically.

Van Vliet was arrested on three charges, but one charge of disorderly conduct was dropped as part of the plea deal.