Staff Editorial: Zero tolerance for hazing

Hazing is something that is serious and damaging on any college campus, but if it happens at GW, with our vaunted anti-hazing atmosphere, it is even more distressing.

This is why if you or someone you know has ever been the victim of hazing – whether it is physical or emotional pressure – we encourage you to come forward and tell the University. Whether you are part of an organization under Student Judicial Services’ jurisdiction or overseen by the office of Greek-letter life, you should never be subject to something you don’t feel comfortable doing. On an organizational and an individual level, hazing at GW is unacceptable and it requires students speaking up for it to be curbed.

Hazing can occur within any organization, not only within the University’s Greek-letter life. The University’s anti-hazing policy applies to every organization on campus, and is aimed at preventing Colonials from suffering physical, mental or emotional harm. Acts of hazing, which are typically under the guise of requirements for joining a certain group or team, can range from pressure to do something someone doesn’t want to do to forcing someone to engage in dangerous behavior.

Though the University is currently investigating four Greek-letter life organizations on allegations of hazing, this is not exclusive to Greek-letter life at GW and students within and outside of the Greek-letter life community should be aware of it.

The University is currently pursuing thorough investigations into the allegations of hazing against four separate Greek-letter chapters, and this demonstrates that GW takes reported allegations seriously. This illustrates that GW views hazing as a grave and punishable offense on campus, and we are glad that administrators are devoting a great deal of time and resources to pursuing the truth in these matters.

Hazing is a serious matter that has no place on GW’s campus, and it is laudable that the University is taking steps to ensure it does not occur here. That being said, the University cannot end hazing, or curb future hazing, without first learning about alleged incidents. Therefore, if you or someone you know has faced or currently faces this situation, please let the University know. Doing so will help not only you, but also your fellow Colonials. You might find that you are the voice of more students than you think.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.