Josh Bailey: Above and beyond regular coursework

Often when we register for classes, we consider when the class meets, what the subject is and perhaps the quality of previous students’ ratings of a professor. But perhaps another consideration to add to the list is service.

Service, in terms of academics, is referred to as service-learning, and is defined by the national community service program Learn and Serve America as being “a teaching and learning strategy that integrates meaningful community service with instruction and reflection to enrich the learning experience, teach civic responsibility, and strengthen communities.”

Aside from a rather austere definition, service-learning is a mutually didactic learning tool that benefits the community by meeting an otherwise unmet need. It benefits the students by providing a hands-on approach to academics, as well as providing them with greater context so they can define and explore their own lives. I would not know D.C. the way I do now without having participated in service-learning. My experiences have also formed the fundamental person I am, and have influenced not only the way I learned in my courses, but the way I view the world now.

Service-learning also has potential for future development. It can open an avenue for future internships or employment due to the meaningful relationships you’ll develop with staff and supervisors at your service site. Through the relationships I formed at service-learning sites, I was able to obtain multiple internships, as well as network with other nonprofit organization employees.

All this being said, service-learning is a tool we can use to ensure that we are active, engaged scholars who are both learning as students and serving as engaged citizens. Service-learning goes above and beyond regular coursework, and provides the best of what a GW learning experience has to offer – high-quality academics and a lifelong dedication to service.

I encourage you to find out more about these opportunities at serve.gwu.edu under the “Service-Learning” tab on the left.

The writer is a senior majoring in human services.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this column.