GW partners with Phillips Collection

A new partnership between the University and the Phillips Collection, America’s first museum of modern art, will offer students opportunities to enroll in courses at the gallery.

During the three-year partnership, one GW Department of Fine Arts and Art History course will be taught at the Phillips Collection each year.

“The sentiment about local museums being extensions of our classrooms is truer than ever before,” Dean Kessmann, the fine arts department chair said.

In the past, the department offered courses at the Center for the Study of Modern Art, the National Gallery of Art, the National Museum of African Art, and the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden.

The partnership will include a series called “Conversations with the Artists.” Artists like Alice Aycock, Matthew Ritchie, Walid Raad and Mark Dion will hold lectures at the Phillips Collection Wednesday nights, followed by visits to campus the next day to interact with students and faculty.

“The department is extremely excited to be co-sponsoring the lecture series starting this academic year,” Kessmann said. “While on campus, the visiting artists will conduct individual critiques with students and enjoy an informal lunch with students and faculty.”

Starting next semester, the University and the Phillips Collection will also co-sponsor two postdoctoral fellowships. One fellow will teach an undergraduate art history seminar while the other will teach a graduate art history seminar at the Center for the Study of Modern Art, a part of the Phillips Collection.

The two fellows will also deliver a public lecture on their research.

“The future fellowship will allow for a constant infusion of new ideas into the curriculum,” Kessmann said.

Dorothy Kosinski, director of the Phillips Collection, said the University will prove to be a valuable partner. “The Phillips is thrilled to count such a well-respected and globally connected Washington institution among its creative collaborators,” Kosinski said.