Profile on Style: Cues from Falling Leaves

For Cathryn Houlihan, preparing for the fall means leggings, skirts and “lots of boots.”

Profile on Style is a weekly post that explores the motivations behind GW’s fashion trends. We’ll show you the most interesting aspects of GW style, and then try to make some sense of it all. Keep your eyes open for a reporter and photographer walking around because you might become the latest trendsetter…or trend-killer.

This post was written by Hatchet reporter Andrew Hor.

Taking cues from the browns, oranges and burnt greens of falling leaves, the most interesting fall wardrobes mix conservative and comfortable colors in warm sweaters and jackets.

Most of Leslie Smith's wardrobe consists of olives, blacks and browns so fall patterns and colors make maximum impact.

Freshman Cathryn Houlihan wore a green wool coat, organic patterned leggings and flats to take on the autumn afternoon. For her, preparing for the fall means leggings, skirts and “lots of boots.” Today, she opted for a pair of light pink flats to contrast her green and black palate. To further balance color, she carried a bright red Longchamp bag. Cathryn’s coat is from Anthropologie and featured a ruffled placket.

Leslie Smith, a junior in the School of Media and Public Affairs, wore an army green quilted Burberry coat paired with brown boots and a dark brown Burberry scarf. For Leslie, fall essentials include different colored jackets and boots. Most of her wardrobe is olives, blacks and browns so fall patterns and colors follow through with maximum impact.

Lily Colley's advice on styling a fall wardrobe? Lots of layering and neutral colors.

Junior Lily Colley prepared for the cold with a dark blue blazer layered on top of a chunky green shawl sweater. The formal, brass-buttoned blazer smoothly contrasted with her easy-going layers. Colley finished off her afternoon look with a pair of black boots and sunglasses. Her advice on styling a fall wardrobe? Lots of layering and neutral colors.

Overall, the trend this autumn seems to be one of comfort in color. Dressing for the fall months means participating in the seasonal change. Just because it is no longer warm outside doesn’t mean you can’t create a little warmth yourself.