G St. space prepped for construction

On-site preparations for the $6 million below-ground Law Learning Center in the 2000 block of G Street are underway.

The developments will pave the way for an additional 20,000 feet of academic space for the GW Law School.

John Ralls, the special advisor for community and outreach in the Office of Real Estate, said the University will bring the finalized plans to the D.C. Zoning Commission this winter. If the plan is approved, as is expected by Ralls’ office, construction could end as soon as early 2012.

Ralls said the underground space is the first stage of development of Square 103, located behind Potomac House and next to Tonic Restaurant.

The first phase of the project will include a 23,281-square-foot center for academic and administrative uses for the law school, which will provide space for lectures, offices and student study needs.

Gregory Maggs, the senior associate dean for academic affairs at the law school, said the new space is intended to replace academic space displaced when the University demolished the old academic office buildings in Square 103.

“The space will be used to house the editorial offices of the seven academic journals that are currently published at the law school,” Maggs said.

The center is part of a larger construction plan, which includes $25 million for four underground levels of parking, which will hold 392 cars.

The garages were planned in order to compensate for the loss of parking when the University Parking Garage on H Street is demolished to pave the way for the $275 million Science and Engineering Complex.

“Upon eventual completion of the above?grade portion of the Square 103 project, this space may be re?programmed by GW Law School to accommodate future needs and is currently intended to be re?programmed into high?density storage space for use by the library,” Ralls said.

Maggs said although construction plans have been drafted for the above-ground development, the estimated cost for the completion of the project has not been finalized.

“The space on G Street will accommodate further upward construction if and when funds are raised for this purpose,” Maggs said.