University to green Lafayette Hall

When construction on Lafayette Hall is completed this summer, the University hopes it will be GW’s third LEED-certified residence hall.

South Hall and West Hall were the first two GW buildings recognized by the United States Green Building Council’s Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification, which officially certifies buildings as environmentally friendly.

Built in 1926, the building’s exterior is being preserved for historic purposes, but the interior is being almost completely gutted so that a new infrastructure can be built.

“Since Lafayette Hall is a contributing structure within the boundaries of the proposed historic district, the brick fa?ade, fa?ade trim and other exterior features are being retained,” said John Ralls, senior adviser for communications and outreach in the Office of the Executive Vice President.

Ralls said when construction is complete, Lafayette will look “similar to Potomac House” on the inside, housing students in double rooms with a shared bathroom.

The updated building will include central heating and cooling, as well as a new elevator, windows and a new roof. The building will also have two additional emergency stairs and a new fire alarm and sprinkler system.

In May, the Board of Trustees authorized $9.8 million for the renovation project. Executive Vice President and Treasurer Lou Katz said last week that the project is proceeding as scheduled financially.

“We’re basically on target, budget-wise,” Katz said.