Staff Editorial: Getting students to basketball games

Basketball season is just around the corner, and that means that for the next few months the campus experience will include hyper-promoted invitations to men’s and women’s basketball games. And while it’s also been easy to make disregarding those requests an unnoticed habit, this is a habit that needs to change.

Basketball season is an opportunity for the student body to unite around a program that fosters school spirit and provides a much-needed diversion from academics.

In the past, specific games like last year’s GW-George Mason University matchup, known as the “Battle of the Orange Line,” have drawn large crowds. At such games, students turn out in droves because the school or certain student organizations publicize the events and promote them through word-of-mouth or social media. Essentially, people went because they knew other people were going.

But significant student attendance is not a typical sight at the Smith Center.

Throughout this upcoming season, games will attract more students if the student body teams up with the athletics program to get involved and make school spirit a priority. Large student organizations or departments in the University, such as the College Democrats or the Office of Community Service, can “sponsor” a game during the season. These games could include tailgates or other events to get students excited for the main event, the actual game. Additionally, GW should organize more events like the “Battle of the Orange Line” in order to increase spirit and boost attendance.

Sometimes it only takes attending one game for a fan to be hooked on GW basketball, so we encourage all Colonials to attend just one game this season. Basketball season at GW, with its quick pace and inherent drama, is a worthwhile facet of the college experience that the student body should support no matter what. A consistent demonstration of school spirit this season will hopefully lead to an increased sense of GW pride and spirit all year.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.