Staff Editorial: A good choice for Commencement

When Michelle Obama spoke at Commencement last year after GW successfully participated in her service challenge, she set a high standard for subsequent Commencement speakers. But GW’s choice of New York Mayor and business tycoon Michael Bloomberg is ultimately a good move for the University. Bloomberg’s history will appeal to a large group of Colonials – as he has made a name for himself in business, politics, media and philanthropy – and his high profile continues a promising trend of notable Commencement speakers.

The most appealing aspects of Bloomberg’s background are that he has experience in many fields to which GW students can relate. His work in equity trading and systems development in Wall Street trading firms is something students in the business school will find inspiring and relevant. But his most famous work in the business field has to be that he started his financial software and media company now known as Bloomberg L.P. Bloomberg L.P. is also a world-renowned news company, and this is similarly valuable to GW students in the School of Media and Public Affairs. His innovation and drive to start this successful company is definitely something he can relay to graduating Colonials, and even students outside of the business school may find his advice valuable.

Of course, Bloomberg’s current title as mayor of one of the biggest cities in the world also plays a significant role in his appeal to GW students. On such a politically active campus, someone who transferred his success from one field into the political world is especially notable. So many students on campus either have political aspirations or a deep-seated interest in politics, and Bloomberg can speak to both groups of students. He successfully maneuvered the political path to mayor by famously switching parties to attain his current position, and he has even been mentioned as a potential presidential candidate in the past. Clearly, he will be able to convey important information about working in politics to those with political science majors or political communication majors, and to other students as well.

GW’s choice of Michael Bloomberg as Commencement speaker for this year’s graduating class is also a continuation of the trend of hosting notable and high profiled figures as Commencement speakers. Graduating Colonials have previously heard from George H.W. Bush, Barbara Bush, Hillary Clinton, Rahm Emanuel and Michelle Obama. Although he does not have the exclusively political appeal of previous Commencement speakers, he does have that experience. Ultimately, GW’s choice may have been difficult, but the University made a good move in naming Bloomberg as Commencement speaker. We look forward to hearing what he shares with graduating Colonials in May.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.