Sports In Brief

Volleyball loses two, topples in A-10 standings

Any momentum that the volleyball team had created for itself after winning five straight Atlantic 10 matches came crashing to a halt over the weekend as the Colonials were swept twice in Ohio, falling 3-0 to No. 18 Dayton (Bison/AVCA) Friday night and 3-0 to Xavier Saturday.

Against the Flyers, the Colonials struggled to put pressure on their opponents, losing the three sets by scores of 25-14, 25-16 and 25-10. Dayton held GW to a .147 hitting percentage in the loss.

Sophomore Lauren Whyte had a team-high 15 kills for GW. No other Colonial recorded more than five kills in the match. Sophomore libero Candace Silva-Martin had 12 digs to lead GW defensively.

For the Flyers, Lindsay Fletemeir hit .611 and didn’t record an error against GW. As a team, Dayton hit .427 in the match.

Saturday night in Cincinnati, GW was able to keep the Musketeers relatively close but still wasn’t able to take a set against Xavier. The match had extra significance for both teams, as GW and Xavier entered play Saturday tied for second place in the A-10, a spot that the Musketeers took sole control of with their win.

With the loss, the Colonials fell to fifth in the conference standings, behind Dayton, Xavier, Saint Louis and Duquesne.

By far the closest set Saturday night was the first, which GW lost 27-25. The Colonials struggled to recover after the narrow first set loss, falling 25-16 in the second set and 25-12 in the third.

Junior Alex Coward and Whyte tied for the team lead in kills with nine each, while senior Katie Zulandt hit a team high .357 in the loss.

The Colonials will look to get back to their winning ways Friday night in a road date against Charlotte, a team GW beat in five sets earlier this season. The team will return home Sunday for a Halloween matinee against Dayton in the Smith Center. First serve is set for 1 p.m.

Men’s water polo tops Iona, falls to Princeton

The men’s water polo team split its two games Saturday, topping Iona 10-7 in the early game before falling 12-3 to No. 18 Princeton (CWPA).

Freshman Nate Little was the leading scorer for GW in its win over Iona, scoring all three of his goals Saturday against the Gaels. Sophomore goalie Cameron Illes made 14 saves in the GW win.

Against the Tigers later in the day, the Colonials were held scoreless into the third quarter. Sophomore Adam Streeter, along with freshmen Paul Deasey and Daniel Tyner each scored once for GW in the loss, while Illes made six saves.

The Colonials will be back at home Wednesday for their final home game of the season against Johns Hopkins. Game time is set for 7 p.m.

Number Crunch: 1

The number of goals the men’s soccer team has scored in its five Atlantic 10 games so far this season.