Drug lab found in Georgetown dormitory

Two Georgetown students and one University of Richmond student were arrested Saturday and are being charged with manufacturing a controlled substance, after police uncovered a drug lab in a freshman dorm on the Georgetown campus.

Georgetown’s campus police uncovered the lab Saturday morning in Georgetown’s Harbin Hall, and after initially believing the lab was for methamphetamine, it concluded that the chemicals found in the room were for the production of dimethyltryptamine, or DMT, a hallucinogenic drug.

The lab was uncovered when a resident of the dormitory called campus police at 5 a.m. to report a strange odor emanating from a ninth-floor room. Upon arrival, officers found “a variety of chemicals,” D.C. Fire Department spokesman Pete Piringer told the Washington Post. Piringer added that officers found heating equipment and a ventilation system in the room.

The dorm was evacuated shortly thereafter, and 400 students in their pajamas were displaced while the Drug Enforcement Administration investigated the lab.

Georgetown’s Vice President of Student Affairs Todd Olson sent an e-mail to the Georgetown community Saturday night addressing the incident and subsequent arrests on campus, the Georgetown Voice – a student-run blog – reported.

“This kind of incident is very unusual in our community,” Olson said. “Please know that we work actively to educate our students and to enforce our policies and the law.”

Olson said the DEA confirmed that students living in the dorm were not at risk for medical issues due to the lab, and all hazardous materials had been removed from the room.