Website ranks GW No. 9 in priciest colleges list

Just as University officials thought GW made it off the “most expensive colleges” list, a separate college ranking group placed GW back at the top of the list of the priciest colleges in the country.

Campus Grotto – a college-focused blog known for publishing its annual list of the country’s costliest colleges – ranked GW No. 9 on the list of the country’s 100 most expensive schools, tabulating costs for tuition and room and board.

The rankings aren’t all bad news, though. GW’s No. 9 ranking is six spots lower than last year.

According to the rankings, the list was calculated by adding up tuition and room and board costs.

“We do not include fees when figuring this cost. This is because many fees can be optional and can vary per student and per major,” according to a disclaimer by Campus Grotto.

“These numbers were taken directly from the college’s website in October of 2010,” the disclaimer says. “In the case that the University does not provide an estimated cost of room and board (because some dorms on campus are priced differently), we took the price of a dorm a typical freshman would find themselves in.”

Neighboring Georgetown and American universities were ranked 15th and 89th respectively.