Peter Konwerski: How GW can help you get that A

Now that midterms are upon us, I wanted to take this opportunity to make you aware of programs we believe put an expanded focus on your academic success. As we continue to collaborate with partners in the academic affairs and advising offices, I wanted you to be fully aware of these resources and urge you to take advantage of what is being offered.

The University Counseling Centerwill be running the “Be Your Best” student academic success series through Nov. 4. This set of 16 workshops, offered on both the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses, is part of our effort to help you achieve both the personal and academic success we envision being at the core of the dean of students’ mission. Additionally, the UCC website offers a variety of academic support services including study tips, podcasts and advice for managing anxiety and stress.

The GW tutoring initiative, a partnership between several offices within the dean of students consortium and the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences, has been enhanced and expanded. In addition to more rigorous tutor training, you now have the option to participate in more group tutor sessions available Sunday through Wednesday evenings. This initiative is an addition to the tutoring programs offered in Eckles Library on the Mount Vernon Campus and in a variety of departments, including statistics and mathematics.

While we will not be able to address every tutor request and meet the demand in every single class offered at GW, we are committed to working with colleagues in academic affairs to both assess the effectiveness of the program and stretch our resources to meet even more student need this year than in the past. All of the details on the launch of the program are available at a new tutoring website. Here you can find information on how to request a tutor, courses in which tutoring is offered and how to apply to become a tutor.

Some other suggestions include visiting the Writing Center as you look toward writing papers and completing class projects. The monthly Language Café at Eckles Library offers the perfect opportunity to improve your foreign language skills in a relaxed, casual setting. Additionally, take advantage of faculty and TA office hours, talk to the faculty in residence and faculty guides, form a study group and most importantly, do not wait until the night before an exam to study!

My staff and I are committed to your success in the classroom. We have expanded our collaboration with our colleagues in academic affairs to provide you with the tools and support you need to be successful. We hope the initiatives outlined above continue to help you achieve your academic goals and personal aspirations and that by working together, we can address other emerging academic support needs you may have. Ultimately, we look forward to working to expand these and other academic support services as well as the semi-annual Study Zone program.

Should you have any questions on these programs or services, please do not hesitate to contact me or a member of my staff and, again, good luck as you head into the exam season!

The writer is the Senior Associate Vice President and Dean of Students.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this op-ed.