Gray holds town hall, touts GW’s capstone progam

Presumptive Mayor Vincent Gray answered students' and residents' questions at a town hall Thursday. Francis Rivera | Hatchet photographer

This report was written by Hatchet reporter Asthaa Chaturvedi

Presumptive Mayor Vincent Gray discussed D.C.’s education issues, from elementary schools to universities like GW, during a Ward 2 town hall meeting Thursday.

The meeting at the Foundry United Methodist Church is the current D.C. Council chairman’s attempt to get a handle on issues in each of the eight wards. Participants filled the first floor of the church’s sanctuary to see the Democrat.

“The onus is on me,” Gray said of getting residents to know him. During the primary election, only 27 percent of Ward 2 voters supported Gray.

Ward 2 Council member Jack Evans introduced Gray, citing the number of years they had worked together on issues like housing for the homeless as evidence of Gray’s compassion and leadership.

Freshman James Reed asked Gray – a GW alumnus – how he would incorporate universities into his transition as mayor.

Gray said he “looks forward to working with the Consortium of Universities [of the Washington Metropolitan Area],” citing the GW capstone honors program that he said would help the city research important issues.

After the town hall Reed said he thought the chairman handled himself well.

“He answered every question with great detail – like any D.C. native would. Gray answered my question about the local universities wonderfully – citing he would consult the Consortium of Universities to promote higher-level education in D.C.,” Reed said.

During the meeting, Gray didn’t skirt the issue about D.C. Public Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee’s resignation the day before the town hall. Rhee is credited with much of the turnaround the D.C. public school system has seen over the past few years.

“I want to address the fallacious rumors,” Gray said. “Michelle Rhee’s decision to step down as chancellor was a mutual decision about what direction we would pursue. She made a lot of progress. Let’s work off that.”

When asked about how he viewed the role of the chancellor, Gray responded, “I firmly support the authority given to that person.”

But Gray also acknowledged that the District is fiscally challenged.

“We’re into the bone marrow,” he said. “Some of the decisions are not going to be pretty.”