Foggy Bottom Metro upgrades to begin in November

The Foggy Bottom-GWU Metro station is slated to begin escalator upgrades next month, after the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority hired an outside agency to review the chronically malfunctioning escalators at the station.

The report audited escalators and elevators at four stations – including the Foggy Bottom-GWU station – and found a lack of adherence to maintenance standards and that water flows into machine rooms and other areas, damaging the equipment inside them.

There is also a shortage of supervisors to oversee repairs, mechanics need more training and the preventative maintenance schedule needs revision, according to the report.

At the Foggy Bottom-GWU Metro station, there are usually enough personnel during maintenance projects, WMATA spokesman Steven Taubenkibel said.

Metro said in the report that any safety concerns were immediately addressed, and the Foggy Bottom Metro station escalator replacements are set to begin construction in November.

Taubenkibel said that over the next year, all three escalators will be replaced and a canopy will be installed over the station’s entrance.

The canopy over the station had been promised to be completed earlier this year.

Taubenkibel said the changes will “expedite the flow of traffic safer and quicker.”

Metro aims to have two functioning escalators available at all times throughout the upgrade process, adding that it typically takes three months to install each escalator.