Gray moves town hall off Foggy Bottom Campus

Presumptive Mayor Vincent Gray was forced to reschedule a series of town halls in D.C. public schools, including one at the School Without Walls, after members of his campaign discovered the meetings violated District law.

Even with no official Republican nominee running against Gray, he is still actively running for the position. Because of the ongoing campaign, the town halls are considered campaign activities and are prohibited from taking place in public schools, forcing Gray to move and reschedule the meetings.

Traci Hughes, a spokeswoman for Gray’s campaign, said they were originally excited to hold the town hall meeting on campus.

“We chose the School Without Walls because it is a great example of a school that is paving the way for success for its students,” Hughes said. “The educators and students at the school are a wonderful reflection of the diversity of our city.”

The town hall for Ward 2 – the ward in which GW is located – will now take place Thursday night from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. at Foundry United Methodist Church, located at 1500 16th St. NW. The closest Metrorail stop to the meeting is Dupont Circle.

Gray won the mayoral primary against incumbent Mayor Adrian Fenty just a few weeks ago and said that through the town halls, he hopes to bridge the gap between his supporters and those who still question his stance on many issues.

Gray did poorly in some wards, including Ward 2, where Fenty won 72 percent of the vote.

One of the biggest issues Gray will address in the meeting is change in education policy that will affect the 45,000 students attending D.C. public schools. D.C. Public Schools Chancellor Michelle Rhee has received national recognition for her innovative public school policies, but announced Wednesday she is stepping down.