Fraternities drop effort to remove leader

Members of the Interfraternity Council dropped their efforts to strip IFC President Bill Hulse of his title in a meeting Tuesday.

The fraternity presidents that make up the IFC decided to “regroup” instead of going forward with plans to remove Hulse as president, Executive Director of the Student Activities Center Tim Miller said. Instead, IFC decided to set new goals for the umbrella organization.

“I think the IFC still has a lot of work to do, but it’s work that they all walked away… committed to doing,” Miller said.

The decision came after the presidents of seven IFC fraternities wrote or signed a letter that alleged Hulse did not hold an IFC meeting to discuss rush before the rush period began. The letter also claimed, among other charges, that Hulse did not give GW Housing Programs information in time for fraternities to “dorm storm” residence halls on the their scheduled days. The lack of dorm storming, the presidents said, likely hindered turnout to rush events.

The letter was written by Phi Kappa Psi, Sigma Phi Epsilon, Sigma Chi, Pi Kappa Alpha, and was signed by Alpha Epsilon Pi, Zeta Beta Tau and Theta Delta Chi.

This fall, 285 men accepted invitations to join one of the 17 IFC fraternities, down seven from last year’s fall rush. The seven-member decline comes after last year’s 80-member increase.

Rush was a point of contention at Tuesday’s meeting, Miller said. But members of the IFC executive board offered solutions to this year’s problems that quelled the president’s concerns.

Hulse, who did not return request for comment, took responsibility for his actions, Miller said. The junior expressed remorse for not ending the “long-standing” tradition of transition dinners.

The presidents accused Hulse of spending nearly $1,000 at his transition dinner, but multiple current and former IFC members said this is not an uncommon practice.

“Bill said he wants to help the new leadership make better choices,” Miller said.

Miller, the interim director of Greek-letter life, said Pi Kappa Phi’s social sanctions were discussed during the meeting but the IFC ultimately decided to leave the fraternity’s standing in the IFC unchanged. Hulse is a member of Pi Kappa Phi and the presidents could have removed him more easily by voting to move the fraternity to probationary status within the IFC. Miller said this would be the first time the IFC moved a chapter to probationary status, that he could recall.

Pi Kappa Phi is under social sanctions established by its national organization, but remains fully recognized by the University and retains full fraternity rights and standing. If it completes the terms of its sanction, Pi Kappa Phi will not be on social sanctions next semester.

If the IFC Presidents’ Council did vote to put Pi Kappa Phi on probationary status, it would have likely been done to make removing Hulse easier, rather than to punish the entire fraternity, as the fraternity has been on social sanctions since last spring.

The presidents who wrote the letter asking for Hulse’s resignation also cited the sanctions as a reason Hulse should be removed from office. Allegedly, Hulse did not make the sanctions known to the IFC.

Miller said this is a common practice among fraternities, and in the future, the Office of Greek Life will inform the IFC if a chapter goes on probation or is under any sanctions.

Miller said the IFC still has “a way to go” in regards to leadership but believes both Hulse and the fraternity presidents are commmited to working together now.

The group plans to meet again next Tuesday for a “first of a series of meetings,” Miller said, where proposed changes to the IFC’s constitution and bylaws will be suggested, among other changes.