Be Wiser Day stresses responsible alcohol consumption

Correction appended

Students participated in a series of events Wednesday to raise awareness of alcohol abuse on campus as part of Be Wiser Day, sponsored by the Center for Alcohol and other Drug Education.

Throughout the day, students were encouraged to sign pledges to make responsible decisions concerning alcohol and pick up Blood Alcohol Content cards personalized by their weight and gender.

Katie Bean, the assistant director of CADE said, “GW students are very intelligent and know how to reach their goals in the classroom. We [CADE] just want to show them how to maximize their potential in every way.”

The day included events like an expert panel luncheon titled Alcohol’s Impact. Students were also urged in their residence halls to contribute personal positive and negative experiences with alcohol to a testimonial wall.

Tara Pereira, the assistant dean of students who also oversees SJS and CADE, emphasized that, “alcohol is not always a bad thing,” but can become dangerous and even deadly when it is abused.

Bean said about 50 students volunteered throughout the day.

“I work for peer educators so I enjoy reaching out to help students and I just think there are so many bad decisions in college that can be avoided with education,” volunteer Emmanuella Dorvi said.

Many of the volunteers had personal connections to the day’s cause.

“I’ve seen a lot of alcohol overdoses and what it has done for students,” said sophomore Damian Legacy, who is emergency medical technician. “Today is really about getting the word out that if you see someone who needs medical attention, please call [911].”

This story was changed on Oct. 15, 2010 to reflect the following:
Due to a reporting error, The Hatchet incorrectly said Student Judicial Services was a sponsor of the Be Wiser event. In fact, CADE was the sole sponsor.