Upgrades to Blue, Orange lines to cause significant Metro delays

Service for Metrorail’s Blue and Orange lines will be severely disrupted over Columbus Day weekend, with no trains scheduled to run through either line at the Metro Center, Farragut West and McPherson Square stations.

While Metro Center will still be open for Red Line service, nearby stations Farragut West and McPherson Square will be closed from 10 p.m. Oct. 8 until the morning of Oct. 12.

Free shuttle service around the closed stations is being provided to take riders from the Foggy Bottom-GWU station to Metro Center, where riders can take the Red Line. Shuttles will pick up riders at 23rd Street.

Metro advised riders to add an extra 40 minutes to their trip time if they are traveling around the work areas.

Metro characterized the three-day-weekend work as “a major rehabilitation and rebuilding project to improve safety, to comply with a recommendation made by the National Transportation Safety Board and maintain service reliability and a state of good repair,” according to a news release.

Service on the Blue Line will be split, with trains running between Franconia-Springfield and Foggy Bottom-GWU stations, and also between the Federal Triangle and Largo Town Center stations.

On the Orange Line, trains will operate from Vienna/Fairfax-GMU to Foggy Bottom-GWU, and then between the Federal Triangle and New Carrollton stations.

The work over the weekend will involve replacing four track switches at McPherson Square station, which Metro said was an NTSB recommendation.

New track fasteners, tracks and tunnel safety lights will also be added. Other safety measures like emergency callbox phones and lights will be tested and replaced. Water leaks in tunnels will also be repaired.