School of Public Health and Health Services dean awarded prestigious prize

The new dean for the School of Public Health and Health Services was the recipient of the prestigious Heinz Family Foundation Award in late September for her work in researching ways to offset the effects of toxic chemicals on children.

Lynn Goldman, who was appointed to her position at the University in May, was one of 10 individuals awarded for her work in “addressing global change in unique, innovative and powerful ways,” according to the organization’s website.

“Several hazardous pesticides have been removed or restricted, thanks to Dr. Goldman,” Teresa Heinz, the Heinz Family Foundation’s founder, said in a news release. “She has been instrumental in securing reforms that limit pesticides in children’s food resulting in lowering their accumulation in children’s bodies.”

Goldman will be presented with her award at a ceremony in Washington, D.C., in November.

The recognition – which was created in the name of the late Senator John Heinz of Pennsylvania – includes a $100,000 award and a medallion.

The award is something that Goldman said she had never imagined receiving.

“I thought I was dreaming at first,” Goldman said of the moment she found out she was a nominee. “Years ago I was on the jury, the panel that selected who should receive this award. I thought it was a lot of fun! But it never occurred to me that I’d be a candidate.”

Throughout her lengthy career, Goldman has held executive positions in the California Department of Environmental Health, the Environmental Protection Agency and most recently conducted research on children’s environmental health at Johns Hopkins University.

“That is what the Heinz organization is recognizing, I think,” Goldman said.

Goldman – who officially began her new role as dean of SPHHS less than two months ago – said she has been able to use her experience dealing with diseases and the effects of toxic chemicals, as well at GW’s location in D.C., to help teach students at the University.

“The HIV epidemic, the epidemic of substance abuse, violent crime, air pollution, even clean drinking water – these are all issues prevalent right here in our capitol,” Goldman said. “There are just so many opportunities, and our students have a wonderful impact.”