Delta Tau Delta to receive two townhouses on F Street

The Delta Tau Delta fraternity will be relocating to two townhouses on the corner of F and 22nd streets, after operating without an on-campus house since 2008.

GW offered Delta Tau Delta the townhouses located at 524 and 536 22nd St. to compensate for the scheduled demolition of DTD’s property on G Street.

The fraternity owns the G Street townhouse that has been occupied by the Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity since 2006. DTD rented the townhouse to Lambda Chi Alpha after DTD was kicked off campus in 2004 for hazing violations. DTD returned to campus in 2008.

The G Street townhouse is scheduled for demolition to make room for an underground parking garage on square 103, across the street from Lisner Hall. Jeremy Rohen, the chairman of DTD’s housing corporation said the fraternity and GW arranged to trade the space with the two townhouses on F and 22nd streets.

“During the coming months, Delta Tau Delta will oversee an extensive renovation of the two properties, ultimately delivering a modern, sustainable and technologically advanced facility, all designed to have a low environmental impact,” Rohen said. He declined to say how much the project, funded by DTD’s alumni through the Educational Foundation for the Gamma Eta chapter, would cost.

Earlier this year, the University reapportioned townhouses for Greek-letter life groups on campus. DTD did not apply for space, and was the only Greek-letter group that was not officially offered a spot on campus out of all of the organizations.

President of GW’s DTD chapter Patrick Cox said the fraternity is grateful to the University for the space on campus.

“We are excited that Delta Tau Delta will have a home on campus again,” Cox said. “Our brotherhood is so strong right now; the new Delt house will only make us stronger. It will be a place for us to hang out socially and academically.”

Rohen emphasized the new house will serve as a community-building atmosphere, rather than an opportunity to disturb neighbors.

“Delta Tau Delta has been an active organization within the Foggy Bottom community since 1903,” he said, adding that he expects this relationship to continue with the completion of the new house.

DTD’s occupation of the new townhouses makes it the sixth Greek-letter life organization to be officially housed in a townhouse near the intersection of F and 22nd streets.