Study: University avoids hairy situation

Students who dig the scruff are out of luck at GW.

GW ranks 7th out of 60 colleges and universities for the number of clean-shaven men on campus, according to a study by Schick razors and Sperling’s BestPlaces.

Eighty-two percent of male students on campus are beard-free, the study found.

“We sent researchers onto campuses across America to observe guys’ shaving habits,” said Bert Sperling, president of research firm Sperling’s BestPlaces, in a news release. “The one trend that stuck out the most was that guys at Southern schools preferred the clean shaven look, while guys at Northeast-city schools tended to sport more scruff.”

While GW ranks high in the percentage of clean-shaven men, cross-town Georgetown and American universities fall at the bottom of the study’s rankings, earning placement among the “hairiest colleges in the country.”

Georgetown ranks 57th out of 60 schools ranked, with only 37.5 percent of male students clean-shaven. American University placed one step higher, at 56th, with 41.5 percent of men clean-shaven.

“Washington, D.C. may have its fair share of clean-cut politicians, but the college students could use a good shave,” the release said.

Being “scruff-free” has its benefits, the study found. According to the study, men who shave their beards regularly have twice as much sex per month as men who do not, and are more likely to have an attractive significant other.

According to the study, Texas Tech University has the highest percentage of clean-shaven men, at 98 percent. Rutgers University is the hairiest, with only 29.1 percent of clean-shaven male students.

-Emily Cahn