CDs campaign in Kentucky for Law School alumnus

More than 50 members of the GW College Democrats traveled to Kentucky this weekend to campaign for Senate hopeful and GW Law School alumnus Jack Conway.

Conway – Kentucky’s current attorney general – faces a tough race in the November midterm elections against Republican challenger Rand Paul, son of Rep. Ron Paul, R-Texas.

The younger Paul is currently ahead of Conway in the majority of national polls, although the data is varied; the spread shows everything from Paul and Conway in a statistical tie, to Paul leading by 15 percentage points. Sunday, a SurveyUSA poll conducted from Sept. 21 to Sept. 23 for the Louisville Courier and WHAS11 found that Paul now leads Conway 49 to 47 percent – a statistically-insignificant amount. Both are seeking the seat of retiring Sen. Jim Bunning, R-Ky.

“Jack Conway has a tough fight against Rand Paul, an extremist candidate,” CD President Josh Altman said prior to the trip. “We’re gonna go down there with our energy and enthusiasm and do everything we can to get him elected.”

The students departed from GW’s campus Friday afternoon, and arrived in Louisville, Ky., late Friday night. They worked with the Kentucky Democratic Party, which is closely affiliated with the Conway campaign. The campaign did not return a request for comment.

“It really exemplifies what we are trying to do this year as College Democrats,” Altman said, adding, “We saw a race that is within a reasonable distance where we can make a real difference and help advance the President’s agenda.”

Altman – who has been on canvassing trips in the past, including trips with the CDs to Virginia and New Jersey last year – said students on the trip did “whatever the campaign needs us to.” This included CD members going door-to-door to make contact with voters, as well as completing data entry for the campaign.

“The main bulk of what we’ll be doing is canvassing and letting voters know that Conway is the best man for the seat,” Altman said, adding that, “The statistics show that for every 13 to 14 doors that are knocked on, that’s one vote. We go on these trips and bring 50 people and knock on hundreds of doors. That can make a difference.”

CD Vice President Nate Perkins also touted the benefits of the trip.

“It is really important that young people after 2008 stay involved in politics,” Perkins said. “We are going to go down to Kentucky and have a little fun but also try to make sure young people stay involved in politics.”

“I am very excited,” said freshman Andres Varona. “I feel that although there are just 50 of us, we are making somewhat of an impact in the elections and creating advocacy for the Democratic Party and what it stands for.”

Trip-goers said Conway was not the only one who would reap the benefits of the trip.

“I think it is a great opportunity to become politically aware,” Varona said. “Especially with the significant elections that are coming up in November… I think it’s not just a great chance to become politically aware but a great way to meet people, create connections, stuff like that.”

Sophomore April Simpkins agreed.

“I think it will be really fun. All the people in College Dems are really fun people. And yeah, I am definitely willing to give up my weekend to do this, even if it seems to some this might be a futile campaign. We don’t believe so, and it’s definitely worth the experience, if nothing else.”