What we’re listening to: Hatchet arts music picks

Hatchet reporters Patrick Rochelle and Emily Katz share their latest musical obsessions.

Patrick Rochelle

The Antlers: “Two”

There aren’t many bands that instantly attract my attention. It usually takes me at least a day or two before I start to really like a song. But in the case of The Antlers, I’m hooked. The song goes on a little long, but the melody is beautiful and the lyrics are thoughtful. In the words of the band itself, “It made me a believer.”

Hellogoodbye: “Would It Kill You?”

I know I’ve been saying it for months now, but this time I mean it. Hellogoodbye’s album “Would It Kill You” is set to release Nov. 9. And before you say anything more, let me stop you. I know what you’re thinking: “Isn’t this that electro power pop band I used to like in high school?” Yes, it is. But after listening to this song, I don’t think you’ll recognize all that you hear. The band’s sound has evolved and matured over the past five years adding a more orchestral sound. It may have taken a while for this release, but I think it’ll be worth the wait.

Belle & Sebastian: “I Want the World to Stop”

I’ve never been a huge Belle & Sebastian fan, but when I heard this new track I was excited and amazed all at once mostly because I hadn’t listened or heard a track by them in several years. But I have to say for a band that has been around since the mid-nineties, it’s nice to see they still got it.

Emily Katz

Robyn: “Main Thing”

Robyn has been blowing up recently, most notably landing a two-second spot singing on the VMAs. I’ve never been a big fan of the Swedish songstress, but this song has got me reconsidering my previous stance. It’s catchy and poppy and just a fun song overall to listen to.

Mark Ronson: “Record Collection”

The title track off Mark Ronson’s yet-to-be-released album features vocals by both Ronson, and Simon LeBon of Duran Duran. Ronson’s verse is clever lyrically, and it’s interesting to hear his singing voice — although it does sound almost identical to his speaking voice. Nonetheless, the whole album is great, and this song is no exception.

Arcade Fire: “Wake Up (Live Acoustic)
“Wake Up” came out a while ago, but this new acoustic recording sounds akin to songs by folky bands like Fleet Foxes and Bon Iver. It’s a different direction taken by Arcade Fire, and it really works. The acoustic just sounds more heartfelt and sincere than the original.