Where we’re eating: D.C. food trucks

Can’t get enough of the new food truck fad? Here, Hatchet foodies list some of the hottest news about D.C.’s mobile eateries. Then, be sure to see our food columnist’s favorite sweet spots on wheels.

Curbside Cookoff
By Hatchet Reporter Ariana Snow

Keep missing your shot at trying one of D.C.’s food trucks? Thankfully, the Curbside Cookoff – a battle royal between D.C. favorites – is your chance to snag lobster rolls and pizza from a moving kitchen.

The cookoff will take place at the Old Washington Convention Center in downtown D.C. on Oct. 7 and 8. Check out the cookoff to sample food and to view art displays and live performances.

Votes from the general public will determine which vendors will earn a spot in the cookout. The 20 trucks with the most votes will be eligible to participate in this exciting food festival.

Some of the candidate vendors include the Red Hook Lobster Pound, Curbside Cupcakes and the Fojol Bros.

Hitting the strEATS
By Hatchet Reporter Rachel Davidson

Restaurants without wheels are so passé. Just ask GW seniors Dan Preiss and Randy Shore, the creators of D.C.’s Food Truck tracker blog, ‘The strEATS.

While the trucks usually stop at populated areas like Farragut Square and Franklin Park, The strEATS keeps us informed about the location of the trucks at all times.

Whether they are studying, eating, or in a class, Preiss and Shore are constantly checking each truck’s Tweets and compiling each trucks whereabouts into a Google Map on their website.

The strEATS also has links to each food truck’s Twitter page as well as the logos of each truck.

Although The strEATS blog has only been around for about a month, Preiss and Shore have big plans for their blog. They intend to expand the website into other cities with food trucks like Los Angeles and Philadelphia, and eventually team up with D.C. Central Kitchen.

The strEATS team is also in contact with several food truck owners, and they hope to bring more trucks to the Foggy Bottom campus.

At the moment there are 14 food trucks in D.C. with a variety of foods.

Just remember to look both ways before you eat.

A La Cart
By Hatchet Reporter Julie Douglas

A La Cart, the food cart outside of Gelman Library, once had lines stretching to the clock in Kogan Plaza. Hoping to revive his business of 17 years, cart owner Naceur Negra is changing his menu to better suit the needs of GW students and other passersby and to get those lines going again.

Negra used to sell pasta and pizza at his cart, but has now changed the menu to seemingly different foods: falafel, hummus and pizza. He also offers meatballs and chicken mozzarella sandwiches.

“Pasta used to be popular as a take-out food before, but this is a new generation,” said Negra. “Now people consider it to be the type of food you eat in a sit down restaurant. I changed my menu to cater to my customers.”

Negra, originally from Tunisia, North Africa is a veteran to the food-making business.

“Growing up in a country close to Italy I learned how to make pizza and pasta as well as Middle Eastern food,” said Negra. “This cart is a great alternative to other food options on campus.”

Negra knows what GW students like, but wants his cart to attract business by word of mouth.

“I want people to be the judge of the food, try it, and tell their friends about it,” he said.

A La Cart now operates from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Thursday and all day and night on weekends.

“I know that students are hungry after a long night of drinking and partying but in order to stay open on weekend nights I need people who can commit to coming and ordering food,” he said.

For other savory food trucks, see last week’s review.