Staff Editorial: Thumbs Up, Thumbs Down

Thumbs Up: Promising polling partnership

GW and Politico are working together on the bipartisan Battleground poll to measure voter preference in time for the November midterm elections. The announcement of this partnership between the University and the renowned news outlet is both exciting and promising, and it is just one more reminder of how GW works with outside organizations on pressing issues of national concern.

Thumbs Up: Who needs Cancun?

GW’s Alternative Breaks Program added more locations and leaders to its winter and spring break trips in response to increased student interest. Alternative Breaks play a key role in GW’s commitment to community service, and growing demand from students for the program demonstrates how successful and rewarding these trips have become in recent years.

Thumbs Down: The Vern gets Sodexo-ed

The University gave Sodexo an exclusive contract to cater all of the events that will take place in West Hall on the Mount Vernon Campus, though students on both campuses have voiced complaints about the food-service provider. GW did not adequately consider students’ opinions, and the University missed out on a key opportunity to allow for more dining options on campus by simply giving more business to a sub-par provider.

Thumbs Sideways: Serving up sustainability

Students who eat at J Street and West Hall will now be using biodegradable plates and napkins made from recycled paper. While this step toward a more sustainable campus is encouraging and appreciated, the cardboard straws dissolve mid sip, leaving drinkers with a mush and soda mix.

Thumbs Up: Those darn Hooligans

Fans at a GW sporting event are rare. Fans at a non-basketball event are even more difficult to come by. But the J Street Hooligans have emerged on the scene showing their support for the men’s soccer team, with unorthodox but entertaining methods. We are in favor of any organization that rallies behind a GW sports team, especially those with enthusiastic members, creative signs and blue vuvuzelas.

Thumbs Up: A shiny new Smith Center

The University is wrapping up renovations on the Smith Center, and you don’t have to be a basketball fan to be impressed by the work. A shiny, newly made-up sports complex may be just the thing to attract promising sports recruits and more influential speakers.

Thumbs Down: Get a director to the Greek

ince Dean Harwood left his position as director of Greek-letter life, the University has not yet appointed a new, permanent replacement. While we understand the process of hiring a new director is complicated, the absence of a permanent director at this critical time for the Greek-letter life community is disconcerting. We hope GW finds a new director soon.

Thumbs Up: Sweet surprises at Square 54

Increasingly, quality vendors are announcing that they are buying space in The Avenue, formally known as Square 54. We can’t wait for Whole Foods and Sweetgreen to come to campus, and we know our GWorld balances will prove it.

Thumbs Down: A tea party at the G-Dub Deli

Okay tea partiers, we get it – you don’t like taxes. But when you spill over onto our campus and throw a sandwich at a GW Deli employee, it gets personal. We love their breakfast sandwiches and the old-school basketball posters. We accept that you have issues with putting down five cents for a bag but it’s a D.C. bag tax, not a socialist conspiracy. You’ll be waiting a long time for approval on this one.

Readers can visit the Forum to comment on this editorial.