SA elects three freshman senators

The Student Association Senate confirmed three non-voting freshman senators Tuesday night, leaving the body only one seat short of a full senate.

Chris Crawford, Elena Gillis and Kirk Wilson were chosen from a pool of eight freshmen candidates during a 40-minute executive session debate.

While freshman senators may not vote on official senate business, they are given committee assignments and represent the voice of the freshman class.

Chris Crawford, CCAS-U, said he was not deterred by this limitation.

“I don’t need a vote if I have a voice,” Crawford said. “You can do just as much convincing people to vote as you do having a vote.”

Crawford will serve on the finance committee and said he has previous experience as a non-voting member as his hometown’s student representative to the board of education.

“I know what it takes to have an impact without a vote,” he said.

Elena Gillis, ESIA-U, said she also plans to use her voice to ensure that freshmen are heard.

“In high school I was involved in curriculum and technology innovation, while also working with the board of education,” Gillis said, explaining why she chose to be a part of the SA Academic Affairs Committee. “I was so involved and I want to stay on that same level.”

Gillis added that she wants to amend class registration and continue to advertise CourseRank, an online program the SA helped launch at GW last year to facilitate student feedback about various classes.

Kirk Wilson, CCAS-U, said he chose to work with the SA Student Life Committee because he was an active member in his community in high school.

“Students make the University unique and diversity is what we have to capitalize on,” Wilson said, explaining his plans to reach out to the entirety of the student body and engage them in the community.

The senate also confirmed Hanna Hromulak to the School of Public Health and Health Services graduate seat, Moussa Ismail to the School of Medicine and Health Sciences undergraduate seat and William Rone to the non-voting graduate seat.

The last remaining vacant position is for a Graduate School of Education and Human Development seat.

The senate will meet Oct. 5, when the body is expected to pass initial allocations legislation for student organizations.