Quick Takes

“False Priest”
Of Montreal

(Polyvinyl)

If romance for you looks something like Disney’s Electrical Parade, Of Montreal will steal your heart. Their latest album is filled with hyperactive love songs, like “Coquet Coquette,” an immediate favorite, with its rockier, spicy sound and a bass line that makes you want to dance. Every song is begging for a single spin in Apex, but for good reason. The band sounds like David Bowie trapped in “Labyrinth” and enjoying it, with songs like “Sex Karma” that beg the question – what could be sexier?

-Rachel Lubitz

“Bitte Orca”
Dirty Projectors

(Domino)

For American and exchange students alike, “Bitte Orca” has been on constant repeat on both sides of the Atlantic since its release in 2009. The familiar sound even drifts hazily from the food stalls outside of Gelman Library. It is difficult to categorize the band, but this is the band’s most accessible album with the lush harmonies it creates. Tracks like “Cannibal Resource” and “Useful Chamber” suggest the band will never be classified as mainstream. John Mayer has nothing to worry about.

-Lucy Westcott

“Kaleidoscope Heart”
Sara Bareilles

(Epic)

Sara Bareilles’ sophomore album proves that this female crooner can write much more than any old “Love Song.” Her defiant tone toward her label remains on “King of Anything” when she asks, “Who cares if you disagree?” But she ventures away from her sassier side with a refreshingly honest (and surprisingly fun) song about writer’s block and the pressures of an album release with “Uncharted,” a definite standout. With her mix of both catchy tunes and softer melodies, Bareilles proves to us that her unique voice has prevented her from falling into a sophomore slump.

-Anna Flickinger

“Sigh No More”
Mumford & Sons

(Island/Glassnote)

This British foursome’s folky twang is a wonder to listen to on their 2010 debut album “Sigh No More,” which has become one of the most popular summer records this year and has recharged the soft-rock genre. The band’s first single, “Little Lion Man,” is a raw confession sung with a wonderful bluesy feel. Lead singer Marcus Mumford then takes us over the top with his raspy voice, while the upright base and banjo create different tones throughout the album. Mumford & Sons’ potential is apparent even if they aren’t completely refined yet. But then again, who is?

-Kelly Danver