Sports In Brief

Women’s soccer sweeps weekend tournament

The women’s soccer team went 2-0 over the weekend in the Blue Hens Classic in Newark, Del., topping Drexel 3-1 Friday and beating tournament host Delaware 2-1 Sunday.

GW’s offense kicked into high gear early on against Drexel Friday, with three first-half goals that helped put the game away for the Colonials. Sophomores Adriana Moya and Kayley Sullivan recorded their first goals of the season against the Dragons, and freshman Claire Haft notched her second goal of the 2010 campaign.

Against the Blue Hens Sunday, the Colonials went into halftime down 1-0 after Delaware’s Melissa Pennington scored the game’s first goal in the 34th minute. GW came roaring back in the second half, with a game-tying goal from Moya in the 57th minute and a game-winner in the 87th minute from freshman Alex Neal.

GW will put its undefeated home record to the test later this week with its final non-conference tune-up of the season Friday against Gardner-Webb at 4 p.m. The game will be the first of three consecutive home match-ups for GW, which will face its first Atlantic 10 opponents of the year, Temple and Saint Joseph’s, at home Oct. 1 and 3, respectively.

Number Crunch: 5

The total number of goals scored by the women’s soccer team in its victories this weekend in the Blue Hens Classic.