GW sports weekend roundup

It was a busy weekend in GW sports, and we didn’t have enough room in today’s issue to fit in all the Colonials action from the past three days. Here’s a quick roundup of the results and some notes, basically everything that didn’t make it into the paper.

Men’s Tennis

Senior Yan Levinski won the Georgetown Tennis Classic on Sunday, topping Pennsylvania’s Phil Law in straight sets in the championship match yesterday afternoon. Levinski defeated Mikey Clarke of Georgetown in the semifinals earlier in the day on Sunday, and he beat top-seeded Ryan Pool of James Madison on Saturday.

Volleyball

The volleyball team went 1-2 in the Penn State Rockvale Outlets Classic over the weekend, falling 3-0 to the three-time defending national champion Nittany Lions on Friday and splitting its games Saturday with a 3-2 loss to St. John’s and a 3-0 win over Princeton.

Sophomore Lauren Whyte recorded both career highs and lows in the tournament in kills, with a career-worst five against Penn State and a career-best 26 against St. John’s.

Sophomore Candace Silva-Martin, who was named to the all-tournament team on Sunday, had 17 digs in GW’s tournament-finale win against Princeton.

Golf

The golf team placed 14th out of 15 teams over the weekend in the Maryland Intercollegiate, shooting a 72-over-par 924 for the tournament as a team. Junior Martin Liu turned in the low card of the tournament for the Colonials, shooting a 10-over-par 223, putting him in 35th place. No other GW golfer placed in the top 50.

Men’s and Women’s Cross Country

Both the men’s and women’s cross country teams had top-25 finishers Saturday in Annapolis, Md. For the women’s team, senior Jessica Stern finished in 25th place in the 5K Salty Dog Invite, while senior Zach Borenstein crossed the finish line in 25th place in the 8K Navy Invitational. Both races were held at the United States Naval Academy Golf Club.

Men’s Water Polo

After winning its opening game over Iona 5-4, the men’s water polo team dropped its next three games in the Eastern Collegiate Athletic Conference Championships over the weekend in Cambridge, Mass. The Colonials fell to 20th ranked Bucknell 21-3 early on Saturday before falling later in the day 7-4 against Johns Hopkins. GW also lost on Sunday, dropping the tournament’s seventh-place game to MIT, 14-6.