Jukebox the Ghost returns to GW

Jukebox the Ghost turned Kogan Plaza’s gazebo into a stage Tuesday, when they played an acoustic show to celebrate the release of their second album, “Everything Under the Sun.”

Fresh off their Sept. 1 performance on “The Late Show with David Letterman”, the GW alumni band drew a solid crowd of students, local families and faculty during their 45-minute performance.

The opening number was their new hit, “Schizophrenia,” a song they performed live on “Letterman” last Wednesday. After progressing with tracks like “Empire” and “Half Crazy,” they threw in “Hold It In,” a song from their previous album, and ended on a cover of Donna Lewis’s “I Love You Always Forever.” After the show, the band stayed in Kogan to talk with fans, sell CDs and sign autographs.

The concert held true to what Jukebox is known for: contagious positive energy.

“They’re just really good to watch. They enjoy playing and are just incredibly talented,” said junior Aly Seeberger.

Micah Lubens, a graduate from the Class of 2010, has followed Jukebox since his freshman year and remembers when the band headlined in the Mitchell Theater.

“[It was] mindboggling seeing them on ‘Letterman’ last week because I remember seeing them play house parties with less than 50 people when they were really raw,” he said. “Now they’re amazing. It’s been fun watching them rise.”

When discussing the band’s success, pianist and lead vocalist Ben Thornewill’s attitude is humble but ambitious.

“It’s a dream and it’s a reach thing,” he said. “But I never thought we would be on ‘Letterman’ this soon.”

Because the call to play on the talk show came at 11 p.m. the night before their performance, “there wasn’t any time to get really nervous,” said Thornewill.

“We figured ‘Oh, we’re playing this song, there happen to be cameras, let’s play for the audience that’s there,'” he said.

As for the future, the band is going on tour through Nov. 20. For now, celebrating their success with an acoustic concert is proof that it’s more than their upbeat songs – rather, it’s their positive and friendly attitudes that have contributed to the band’s continued rise to fame.

“This is where we got our start, these are the roots,” said Thornewill. “And of all places to be, why not be where we started?”