Graduate student dies after half marathon

A beloved GW graduate student died suddenly Sunday morning after completing a half marathon in Virginia Beach, Va. He was 27.

Sean McCarthy – who would have graduated from GW with a master’s in tourism administration this spring – was observed by runners at the Dodge Rock ‘N’ Roll Virginia Beach Half Marathon as “having difficulty” one block away from the finish line at the Sunday morning race, said Virginia Beach police spokesman Adam Bernstein.

Runners helped McCarthy to the finish line, where he was immediately treated by doctors on scene and rushed to the hospital for further care. He was pronounced dead shortly upon arrival.

Bernstein said McCarthy had recently seen a doctor for a checkup and his health appeared fine.

Medical examiners are awaiting the results of McCarthy’s toxicology report and have not yet determined a cause of death.

McCarthy was a student in the Accelerated Master of Tourism Administration Program, but also worked for the Virginia Tourism Corp. as a research director. VTC has a partnership with GW in which the company sponsors a tourism marketing course for undergraduate students, which McCarthy helped teach last semester.

Sheryl Elliott, an associate professor of tourism studies, said McCarthy formed a close relationship with the students in the class.

“He was very inspiring,” Elliott said. “Students looked up to him. They looked up to him in terms of future jobs and career direction.”

Elliott added that McCarthy was well respected by the students he taught.

“He deeply cared about students, he gave up his time personally and professionally to make sure students got an education, a real education,” Elliott said. “I think that’s the way the students will remember him, and that he was so likable.”

Sophomore Helena Hounsel said she is shocked by McCarthy’s passing.

“His bright smile keeps popping up in my head,” Hounsel said. “I will never forget him, and I would love to do a brick for him on GW’s walkways. He was our friend, as well as someone we all looked up to.”

Senior Miles Castro said the entire marketing class appreciated McCarthy’s guidance throughout the semester, adding that the class is mourning his passing.

“Sean taught our team how to become professional and creative as a group. He was one of the reasons we came so far,” Castro said. “He hinted at our themes and noticed the assets our team possessed as a group. Without him we would have struggled through several parts of the class.”

Chokan Bekturganov, who graduated in the spring, said he was glad he was able to get to know McCarthy, and is saddened to hear of his passing.

“He was a kind and open person, always sharing stories about his experience and offering valuable insights,” Bekturganov said. “When I was doing my project, Sean offered his advice any time my group and I needed help. He [was] encouraging and supporting throughout the semester. Even when I was done with college Sean always was willing to help. He was truly a person who was willing to go above and beyond his duties.”

McCarthy is survived by his wife, Jennifer Polidoro, his parents James and Patricia McCarthy, his brother Ryan McCarthy and his sister Allison McCarthy.

A visitation will be held Thursday at the Wimberg Funeral home in Egg Harbor City, NJ. The family requests that donations in McCarthy’s name may be made to the American Heart Association.