Dlatt: Funds and benefits outweigh the price of SEC

Senior Bradley Dlatt, a Hatchet columnist, states that the research and faculty brought in by the Science and Engineering Complex will make up for the cost of the project.

Colleges and universities are largely driven by competition. Every school strives to attract better applicants and ensure the continued value of that university’s degree.

In the increasingly competitive fields of science, technology, engineering and mathematics, many universities across the country are entering the battle with guns blazing to attract federal funds, the best professors and the best students. But comparing GW’s outdated facilities and lack of a strong research foundation is like taking on the tanks of other universities with a slingshot.

All is not lost for GW, however. To remedy our shortcomings in those fields, the University has proposed a Science and Engineering Complex that will provide eight floors of classrooms, labs, study spaces, offices and research facilities. This project, slated to cost an estimated $275 million, is a crucial first step in modernizing GW’s capacity for scientific research. And while the facility has been deemed too costly and over the top, it is necessary in order to attract the best possible professors and students. It is time for our University to step into the 21st century by establishing the best possible facilities for science research through the SEC.