Man arrested near Lisner Auditorium for iPhone robbery

A man was arrested outside Lisner Auditorium Monday evening. Photo by Viktors Dindzans | Senior Photo Editor

Update 10:27 p.m.

An e-mailed  Crime Alert from the GW Police Department confirmed that a man arrested near Lisner Auditorium Monday evening was a suspect in the robbery of an iPhone.

The alert said the robbery occurred at approximately  7:50 p.m.,  at 23rd and H Streets NW.  Two women–believed to be unaffiliated with GW–reported the robbery, and GWPD apprehended one suspect at 21st and H Streets. The individual was then arrested by Metropolitan Police.

Another suspect in the case is still at-large and is described as a thin black male with medium complexion, short black hair, about 5′ 8 and 15 to 20 years old. He was wearing a white T-shirt and blue jeans.

Thefts of iPhones on streets in the area have been increasing this year, with a recent string of iPhone thefts occurring in July resulting in an arrest.

Original post:

Metropolitan Police arrested a black male on campus Monday evening around 7:30 p.m, on the corner of 21st and H streets.

The individual was seen running before being caught by officers near the hippo statue outside Lisner Auditorium.

MPD spokeswoman Gwendolyn Crump said she did not have any details at this time about an arrest at that location.

A D.C. Police Alert e-mailed after 7:30 p.m. reported that at 7:20 p.m. a robbery snatch occurred at 31st and M streets. The suspects were two black males, about 5′ 10 and 20-years-old. One suspect was wearing a blue and white striped shirt.

Crump said she didn’t know if the two incidents were related and said she would have more information Tuesday morning.