University, Program Board makes safety plan for Fall Fest

Due to the myriad activities taking place Saturday afternoon as part of Fall Fest, Program Board and University Police are working together to ensure that the day runs smoothly and safely.

Popular musical artists Wale and Travie McCoy may draw a large crowd of non-students who want to check out their performances, but admission will be limited to students and their guests, similar to years past.

PB Chair Wesley Callahan said students may bring one non-GW affiliated guest with them to Fall Fest.

University spokeswoman Michelle Sherrard said due to renovations at the Smith Center, the event will happen on University Yard rain or shine.

“Each year, GWPD, Marvin Center and University Conferences and Program Board work together to ensure that Fall Fest is a secure and safe event for all attendees,” Sherrard said in an e-mail.

Callahan said “PB’s goal is to plan exciting, fun and safe events that will be enjoyed by the GW community. For Fall Fest we work with a plethora of University departments to make sure the event is fun and safe for everyone involved.”

Callahan said multiple University Police Department officers will be in University Yard during the event and will be checking GWorld cards at the entrances.

“Some entrances to University Yard will be blocked to control traffic onto the Yard,” Callahan said.

This year’s Fall Fest will feature a gladiator joust, sumo wrestling, a photo booth, free t-shirts and food as well as giveaways. The event begins at 4 p.m.