While you were gone . . .

Over the past three and a half months, those of you not in and around Foggy Bottom missed:

June

The Graduate School of Political Management announced former White House Press Secretary Dana Perino will teach a course at GW in the fall.

Though most GW students watched the World Cup on TV, 20 students from the School of Business attended the games for a class on tourism and sports management.

The Washington Area Metropolitan Transit Association announced that movie rental kiosks will be installed in the Foggy Bottom Metro station.

The University announced it was installing window restrictors in high-rise residence halls, following the death of sophomore Taylor Hubbard in May.

Metro fares went up, so be aware next time you use the Metrorail and Metrobus services. A ride on the Metrorail will now set you back $1.95 during off-peak hours, with a 20-cent surcharge during rush hour. Metrobus customers now pay $1.50 per ride if they are SmarTrip users, and $1.50 if they pay cash.

GW alumnus Sen. Daniel Inouye, D-Hawaii, was named president pro tempore of the Senate in June after Sen. Robert Byrd, D-W Va., passed away.

July

Law School Dean Frederick Lawrence was named the eighth president of Brandeis University, and will leave the University in November.

President of the Dominican Republic Leonel Fernandez touted his country’s involvement in the recovery efforts in Haiti during a speech in the Jack Morton Auditorium.

First lady Michelle Obama, second lady Dr. Jill Biden and Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius outlined new preventive health care measures at GW’s Medical Faculty Associates building.

The University signed a formal partnership with the Smithsonian Institution, which grants GW students and faculty access to the museum’s resources.

Long-serving physics professor Barry Berman died July 19. Colleagues said the former chair of the physics department was dedicated to the School of Engineering and Applied Sciences, as well as to ensuring his students were learning and enjoying the subject of physics.

The University announced former President Jimmy Carter will reflect on his years in the White House at an event Sept. 29 in Lisner Auditorium.

August

Program Board announced D.C.-based rapper Wale and hip-hop artist Travie McCoy will headline Fall Fest Sept. 4.

A fire caused by an underground transformer near the Willard Hotel evacuated both the Willard and the W Hotel and spewed flames into the air. The incident caused nearby traffic to slow.

The Obama administration announced the recess appointment of alumnus Richard Sorian as the assistant secretary of public affairs at the Department of Health and Human Services.