Tickets still available for Jimmy Fallon

Half of the tickets for Jimmy Fallon’s upcoming Colonials Weekend performances have been sold, but a University official said he expects sales for the comedian’s show to pick up as the event nears.

Peter Konwerski, the newly appointed dean of students, said about one half of the tickets available for Fallon’s two performances Oct. 16 remain.

“Ultimately, by all accounts – the recent student and parent feedback during the planning process and since our announcement – Jimmy Fallon is an act our community wanted to see,” Konwerski said in an e-mail.

Konwerski said about half the tickets had been sold within the first 24 hours tickets were made available on Aug. 9. Sales began to slow throughout the rest of the month, he said.

The sale comes on the heels of last year’s headliner – “Daily Show” host Jon Stewart – who sold out two shows within the first 24 hours that tickets became available.

Despite the ticket demand for Stewart’s performances, a fast sell-out is not typical for Colonials Weekend. Tickets for Robin Williams’ performances, who headlined the weekend in 2008, sold out in a little over a month. In 2007, Billy Crystal’s show never sold out.

Konwerski said it was Fallon’s diverse reputation and appeal that led the selection committee to ask the comedian to headline the annual University event.

“I am personally looking forward to a performance with a variety of genres, including some of the typical routines of a stand-up comic, as well as the inclusion of certain sketch comedy routines and well known impersonations,” Konwerski said.

Tickets will also cost students and their families less than in recent years – between $35 and $75 a seat. This deal was another factor in inviting Fallon to perform, Konwerski said. Tickets to last year’s performances cost between $50 and $90.

“Beyond just availability, affordability is always at the top of our priority list,” Konwerski said about searching for Colonials Weekend entertainment. “Jimmy was the perfect act for our demographic at the right price.”

Fallon, who is slated to host the Primetime Emmy Awards Aug. 29, is best known for his work as a cast member of NBC’s “Saturday Night Live” from 1998 to 2004 and as a host of the late-night talk show “Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.”

Though a large number of tickets to both shows is still available, Konwerski said he is optimistic about the headliner’s performances and that many members of the GW community will be in the audience.

“We are excited by this great start and we hope that it continues as more returning students and families hear about the show,” Konwerski said. “We hope (those attending Colonials Weekend) visit campus, buy tickets and enjoy the show.”

-Emily Cahn contributed to this story