Best of the summer crime log

Receiving Stolen Property

7/01/10 – Ivory Tower – Time unknown – Case closed

A Health and Safety inspector found a GW “employees only” sign in a room. The sign was confiscated Referred to Student Judicial Services

Drug Law Violation

7/01/10 – Public property on campus – 11:35 p.m. – Case closed

University Police observed a non-GW summer resident drinking an alcoholic beverage and smoking a cigarette in front of Ivory Tower. Upon smelling a suspicious odor coming from the cigarette, officers approached the subject, but the resident then flicked the cigarette into a trashcan Referred to SJS

7/07/10 – Ivory Tower – 3:30 a.m. – Case closed

After a Health and Safety inspector reported seeing drug paraphernalia in a room, Housing Programs staff conducted an administrative search and discovered 2.9 grams of marijuana Referred to SJS

7/20/10 – Off campus – 7:00 p.m. – Case closed

The Metropolitan Police Department notified UPD after a student was arrested for attempting to purchase narcotics from an undercover officer Closed by arrest

7/29/10 – Townhouse Row – 2:42 a .m. – Case closed

A University staff member reported observing a strong odor of marijuana outside a room. UPD responded, discovered drug paraphernalia in plain view and confiscated 3.7 grams of marijuana Referred to SJS

Lewd Acts

7/03/10 – Phillips Amsterdam Hall – 2:50 a.m. – Case closed

UPD responded to a report of two subjects having intercourse in a study lounge. One subject was a non-GW summer resident and the other was unaffiliated with GW. Both subjects claimed to be there on their own will Subjects barred from campus

Illegal Dumping

7/06/10 – Off campus – Time unknown – Case closed

The resident of an I Street property in the 2400 block reported several surrounding townhouses hosted large parties and dumped trash on her lawn Referred to department

Harassing Phone Calls

7/11/10 – Off campus – 11:20 p.m. – Case closed

A non-GW summer resident told UPD she was receiving harassing phone calls from a male she recently dated. They broke up and he allegedly cursed at her over the phone No further action

Indecent Exposure

7/03/10 – City Hall – 4:05 a.m. – Case closed

UPD received a report of individuals swimming in the pool in the City Hall courtyard. When UPD approached the individuals, one, a non-GW summer resident, and accompanying individuals, they were found to be swimming in the nude Subjects barred from campus

Burglary

7/24/10 – Health and Wellness Center – 1:21 a.m. – Case closed

UPD responded to a report of an unknown male breaking into the Lerner Health and Wellness Center after hours, attempting to steal beverages and tampering with a bicycle. Footage from security cameras showed that the subject entered from the rear entrance after smashing the lower glass with an object. The individual also smashed a gumball machine and fled the scene upon seeing a housekeeping staff member No identifiable suspect

Assault

7/28/10 – 23rd and F streets – 9:40 a.m. – Case closed

Several protestors who claimed a student had exposed his rear end to them approached UPD officers on scene. Officers made contact with the student, who said the protestors had verbally threatened him and his pants accidentally fell down. UPD advised the student to discontinue his inappropriate behavior, but shortly thereafter, the student returned and told officers a protestor had thrown coffee upon him. UPD and MPD officers, who were also at the scene, approached the woman who allegedly threw the beverage and both subjects entered a verbal argument. UPD and MPD verbally warned the subjects to end their disruptive behavior No further action