Visitor’s Center will move to Marvin Center this fall

The University’s Visitor Center will move from its current location in the Academic Center to the first floor of the Marvin Center at the end of the summer to make room for academic offices and classroom space, a University administrator said in June.

Construction is scheduled to begin sometime in June on the north side of the Visitor Center to make room for five academic offices, which will house the new Columbian College of Arts and Sciences advisers recently hired as part of a plan to overhaul CCAS academic advising, Associate Vice President for Academic Operations Jeffrey Lenn said.

“We will create space for the advisers’ offices in the current Visitor’s Center,” Lenn said. “We’re trying to get all of the new advisers into their offices for the fall.”

Part of the Visitor Center will remain operational until early fall, when it will completely move to Marvin Center Room 101, making room for new academic space in the Academic Center.

“This location is ideal because it will provide a student-centric visit experience and will give the Office of Admissions the opportunity to update and enhance a visit program for which they have continually received high marks,” Associate Vice President and Dean of Undergraduate Admissions Kathryn Napper said in an e-mail.

An estimate for the cost of the move and the construction of a new, 70-seat classroom in its place could not be given.

“It’s part of an overall goal to increase the number of classrooms on campus,” Lenn said.

The University is also in the final stages of purchasing a new property on the Virginia campus, a University administrator said in May.

The building will be used to relocate administrative offices currently housed in Foggy Bottom to Virginia to make room for academic space in the University’s prime D.C. location, said Executive Vice President and Treasurer Lou Katz.

Katz said the University will occupy about 50,000 square feet of the three to four-year-old building, which is currently a building of condominiums.

Although the contract is not yet finalized, Katz said the Board of Trustees approved the purchase of the building at its May meeting, adding that the space is expected to cost around $5.8 million.